Browse » home» » » » Brother HL 4040CN

Brother HL 4040CN

I am a freelance writer and editor and often have to print in large quantities. I bought the Brother HL-4040CN and found it to be ideal for my workload. Previously I was using a printer that was almost eight years old and extremely toner hungry, noisy and inefficient. A friend told me about the Brother HL-4040CN and I ended up buying one, despite plenty of research into competitors.

The main reason for buying Brother HL-4040CN is that it’s a color laser. I was tired of using black and white printers, and there was some work that needed an elaborate colored printing. Clients often want proofs with colored marking, which a monochrome printer just can’t handle. While my color needs were modest, I couldn’t do without it. I therefore opted for the Brother.

It’s also quick, offering an output of 21 pages per minute and has monochrome printing capability as well as full color. I am using the included Ethernet interface connectivity and it’s working fine for me. Paper capacity is around 300 sheets and there is high capacity replacement of toner cartridges.

The USB Direct Interface on Brother HL-4040CN provides PictBridge support. This means that I can connect my PictBridge-compliant camera to the printer and then print pictures directly from the camera. There’s simply no need of first downloading them on a PC. This is handy if I just want to print a picture or two rather than having to boot the whole computer.

I was concerned about the setup part as I am not well-known for my technical prowess. It was, however, quite an experience for me, being able to set it up within 10 minutes. The instructions definitely helped me out there as they were clear, descriptive and actually in English.

The control panel of the HL-4040CN is one-touch operation and enables me to complete all printing jobs with the minimum of fuss. I like things to be simple to use, and this certainly qualifies. An LCD display makes it easier to check the status of print jobs and the menu selection helps me in starting the process.

The replacement of toner cartridges and cleaning isn’t a difficult job as it is done through a front loading flap. I have become a fan of the Brother HL-4040CN because of it easy-to-use working and excellent printing results. While I’m no technophile, it does seem exceedingly easy to use, straightforward and does exactly what it says on the box.
Advertisement